Have you met Mack the Macaroni Penguin?
Mack is our resident Penguin expert and he’s been helping us to prepare for our Become a Penguin Pro event running from 28 May – 5 June, we’ve become Penguin Pro’s and we’re excited to squawk all about it!
The new exhibition showing photos from Ernest Shackleton’s Endurance Expedition along with the immersive polar ice tunnels under the museum, means our Crew all spend a lot of their time in Antarctica surrounded by penguins, so we think it’s only fair to share their penguin knowledge with you!
Here are the Crew’s favourite penguin facts:
- Penguins stink! You can smell the waste from big groups from miles away, must be all that seafood…
- Penguins have teeth like spikes on their tongues and the rooves of their mouths to help grip their fishy dinner!
- Gentoo Penguins swim so fast they could even break some speed limits!
- Emperor Penguins can dive as deep as 1,800 feet. That’s taller than the Eiffel Tower!
- Adélie Penguins sometimes steal rocks from each other’s nests.
- Penguins can control the blood flow to their feet, that’s how they don’t freeze!
- Young King penguins’ feathers are so fluffy it looks like they have a woolly sheep’s coat on!
- We are definitely not taller than a penguin… don’t believe us, you’ll have to come see why.
We’ve got loads more to learn about penguins and so much more to see when you visit!
Come see us to splash your way through a penguin activity sheet, discover hidden penguins, traverse our chilling ice tunnels, see history’s biggest ever penguin, follow in the footsteps of epic polar explorers, test your penguin skills, and even earn a Penguin Pro badge!
28 May – 5 June
Daily from 10am
This event has now ended, but we want to say a big thank you to all of the new Penguin Pro’s who came to see us for May Half term! if you’re lucky you might even still spot some penguins when you visit us!